Friday, July 27, 2007

Bionicle

My kids love Lego and so do I. I have a few gripes about Lego and my criticism below is constructive and not meant to bash the entire Lego world.

Bionicle. My first impression is a binocular and monicle. Since the first time I saw the TV ads I was not impressed with the toyline and I hated the names of the Bionicle characters even more. I'll admit that the kids like them but they do have something to say about the names like Whenua, Hewkii, Toa Hordika Vakama, Pohatu Nuva, Toa Jaller, or Takadox. I asked one nine-year old what he thought about the Bionicle names and he just blurted out one word. Stupid. At least I know I'm not the only one to think this. The names themselves aren't stupid (hey, these names are based on Polynesian mythology) but for a Lego Bionicle toy they are.

One of my kids only got their first Bionicle as a present and it was a one of the cheapest Bionicles. Any kids' interests with most toys are short, especially if they have many. My kid's fascination with this particular Bionicle was shorter than the norm. The only reason why we have other Bionicles was that I didn't want to buy the more expensive Exo-Force or Lego Star Wars kits on the shelves. Most of the ones I buy are around $10 and the kids break them anyway. Many kinds of Bionicles are within the $10 price range.

After a while (5 years maybe), Bionicle the toy is starting to grow on me. They are unique and are becoming interesting. Lego keeps coming up with all different kinds and types. One thing is for sure is that they are different and stand out from the other Lego line.

No comments: